Translate

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

They call it the "Fresh" 5 years

Every year after her birthday....since Terrible Two's kicked in I face a new challenge or a new and improved "Jaylin" in front of my the eyes the morning after her birthday. She turned 5 about a week ago and according to some books they refer to it as the "Fresh Fives". Once again she test her limits with me and I face a new tone and/or attitude from her. (hands on her hips and wiggling her body saying " no, it's not mommy".

I didn't start blogging so many of you may think every kid is the same, you are absolutely right. It's all normal and nothing new to parents ears but it's driving me nuts. Through the years Jaylin and I developed a deal or let's say we help each other, she is a very mature 5 and I believe and she understands the routine very well. Whenever mommy is done with all the chores or what needs to be done this mommy is not afraid to get down and dirty with her and play anything and everything. Taking turns is how I like to put it..... but lately with my workload trying to keep a blog going, learning to develop a website and uploading videos on tutorial  on YouTube i am counting on her to cut me some slacks but guess what I don't get anything done.

Setting limits and allowing her to make some choices.... she is 5 and i believe she should start learning how to make good choices on her own for herself. Taking baby steps by letting her get out of bed on her own without dragging her out of bed for school every morning, letting her decide when bath time is ready and making good choices such as getting out of the tub before having wrinkly hands. Switching things up for her quite a bit, before I will give her the 5 minutes time up kind of deal or you have 2 more minutes then we have to....etc...etc. But mommy still means business and when you can't make good choices for yourself mommy will take it all away and make the decision for you until you can practice good behavior.

I can't blame Jaylin for her behavior instead I will take two steps back and see what I have been doing differently and are my expectations set too high for a 5 year old?!?!? Is she not getting enough rest? Jaylin normally naps 1-1.5hrs daily after school but I have been cutting it to 45 mins because she will be going to first grade in September so I would like to slowly wean her off, dont get me wrong I love naps that is the time where mommy gets some snuggling time with her or get some work done. She could be tired with the new sleep schedule being crabby and short tempered. Jaylin goes to bed roughly by 8:30 pm and wakes up at 7:45 to get ready for school that's about 11 hrs of sleep plus a nap. She is a busy bee busy as in busy at home with mommy kind of activities not after school programs. I didn't sign her up for classes like most parents do nowadays, do you find that odd? Instead I will work with her at home with reading, simple math, science, DIY and other fun crafts projects. She loves it and so do I, we like to keep each other busy and aside of all the fun and games plus projects mommy still needs to keep the house in order and do daily mommy duties.

When Jaylin cooperates I can get a lot done, normally a speedy 30 mins of prepping and cooking or 15 mins here and there I can get things done in a jiffy and attend back to Jaylin with my full attention. Sounds easy right..... it actually can happen. But lately nothing was productive, reminders left and right, slowing things down a notch to lecture or reason with her why this and that was wrong or why don't you try saying things way rather than that way to make its sound nicer and less demanding. (regression) Jaylin is definitely testing my patience and I have to keep my cool. I try not to let it get to me or get frustrated with her because she is still learning and developing her personality and understanding what is right and wrong and how to deal with situations.

Lunar New Year is around the corner and today we recorded a video on how we made our lanterns. Stay tune...I need to edit the video along with writing specific directions on how to make decorative lanterns for Chinese New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment