Translate

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Learn To Read- Kindergartner

Learn to Read
Jaylin started working on Hooked on Phonics at the age of four, whenever she is craving to learn I feed it to her like I'm feeding her brain.....her curiosity. I let her take the lead and I will pick up her cues to what her recent interest are. A while back she was not into fiction books she was eager to learn about animals, science, non-fiction type of books. I will buy/borrow reference books for young readers or head to the library and let her choose what she wants to learn or curious about. I will steer her toward the non-fiction books to see if anything catches her eye but she will quickly tell me "mommy I am done let's go check out and go home".
Hooked on Phonics was a terrific approach for Jaylin at the time so we gave it a try and she was hooked. Each lesson is about 20 mins long and she will watch a DVD for about 5 mins listening and following the pronunciation.  Step two is the workbook and reading a short story with the vocabulary she learned from the lesson. No drama, no tears, no stress it was all smiles because she felt so proud reading like a big kid. Its been close to 6-9 months working on Hooked on Phonics she is comfortable sounding out the letters to read the word. From lesson 1 to current she practiced mainly on words with the letter "a" such as: at, an, am, ad, ag and etc... Maybe we worked on the same workbook too long she is losing interest and does not want to proceed with the lessons. She turned five roughly two weeks ago and developed a mini attitude and thinks she knows it all.
Beginning Readers

She is not a genius nor a gifted child but at school I don't think it's challenging for her, at home I will introduce her to some science, reading, writing, simple math, arts and crafts. I am not a teacher I don't have a degree in early education I am a stay at home mom trying to keep her busy and maintaining tidy household. Her recent attitude change was driving me crazy, being bossy, not listening, regression," I know it all" kind of attitude......everything is expected and normal for her age. To bust her bubble a bit I had to out smart her and show her she is wrong and prove it to her instead of telling her "because i said so, or I know because I am your mommy" : ) Slowly this devil side of her phased out and she is slowly switching gears and willing to listen to what I have to say or teach her. ( it took me roughly 3 weeks to have her ditch her attitude, boy oh boy did she test her limits with me and pushed my patience to the max)
Set 1 Beginning Readers
OK, back to business..... she is able to count and write her numbers up to 100 without assistance, capital and lower case alphabet seems to be consistent now. Reading was the next challenge since she lost interest with Hooked on Phonics I approached her with BOB Books. Its for ages 4 and up Set 1 for Beginning Readers, I didn't look through the books myself yet and grabbed the first book and handed it over to Jaylin to see how far she can go on her own. To my surprise.... she was capable of reading if not all but most of the books in the set. I didn't think she can read the short stories because she mainly work on "a" words. She caught my attention when she slowly sounded out the "i" words along with "o" words. Of course it felt like a milestone to mommy, praising her, clapping and acknowledging job well done pronouncing the words on your own. That boost her confidence so high she didn't want to stop but to keep reading one book after another. Maybe tomorrow she will like to continue with Hooked on Phonics.

No comments:

Post a Comment